Leaders are asking: Should we revitalize or replant churches?
Mark Clifton writes: 15% of churches will not be here in 5 years if trends continue
The real question: Is there still an unreached community here?
We need to define success:
-Normative church size is a church with less than 299 in gathered worship
–90% of all SBC churches have less than 299 in gathered worship
–83% have less than 199 – 63% have less than 100
–Every SBC pastor who preaches to more than 2000 would fill one jet
–Every SBC pastor who preaches to less than 250 would fill a MLB stadium
There are not enough large churches to reach North America, but if vast numbers of normative size churches became successful, it would be a game changer!
- What about a dying church brings glory to God?
- What about a dying church says, "Our God is great and His gospel is powerful?"
- Revitalization and/or Replanting for God's glory is an act of worship.
- Worship requires we lay down our idols and run only to Jesus and the cross.
Click HERE for registration and more information
Success is making disciples who make disciples that result in community transformation.
We plant over 1200 Southern Baptist churches each year
We lose 900 Southern Baptist churches each year
Church Revitalization/Replant Tour
with Mark Clifton
Mark Clifton is the senior director of replanting at the North American Mission Board. Mark has served as a pastor, church planter, church revitalizer, mission strategist, coach and mentor to young leaders. He has planted and replanted numerous churches and has also served as a national and regional leader for church planting and missions.
For more information go to www.namb.net/church-replanting
Thursday, March 1 – Columbus
First Baptist Church, Westerville
Friday, March 2 – Cincinnati/Dayton
Impact Church, Lebanon
Saturday, March 3 – Toledo
First Baptist Church, Perrysburg
9:30 AM - 3:00 PM
Registration: $10 includes lunch and book
Open to pastors, church planters, and church leaders interested in learning more about revitalization and replanting.
Learn the six revitalization/replant imperatives:
- Pray without ceasing
- Love and shepherd the church's remaining members
- Exegete and serve the community
- Simplify your strategies
- Focus on young men
- Make disciples who make disciples
Explore the five revitalization/replant pathways:
- Give the building to a new church plant
- Give the building to a partner
- Share the building with a new plant
- Merge with a new plant
- Replant from within
Understand four revitalization/replant requirements:
- Passion for the Bible and Biblical preaching
- Been a disciple and disciple-maker
- Passion for the Gospel
- Passion for prayer